From 1st April 2011 prescription charges have been abolished in Scotland, therefore you do not have to pay for NHS prescriptions if you:
- Present a Scottish prescription at a pharmacy in Scotland;
- Present an English prescription, with a valid Entitlement Card, at a pharmacy in Scotland; or
- Present an English prescription form at a pharmacy in Scotland and you qualify under exemption arrangements detailed in the NHS(Free Prescriptions and Charges for Drugs and Appliances)(Scotland) Regulations 2011.
If you present your prescription in Northern Ireland or Wales you will not be charged. If you present your prescription in England you will be required to pay unless you qualify for exemption under English arrangements.
MEDICAL EXEMPTION CERTIFICATES
If you have one of the following medical conditions, you may wish to apply for an NHS Medical Exemption Certificate that will entitle you to receive NHS prescriptions free of charge if presenting your prescription in England.
- hypoadrenalism for which specific substitution therapy is essential (e.g. Addison's Disease)
- diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
- diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone
- myasthenia gravis
- myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
- epilepsy requiring continuous anti-convulsive therapy
- or if you have a permanent fistula requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance (also referred to as a stoma)
In addition to these conditions, if you have a continuing physical disability which means that you are unable to leave your home without the help of another person you might also qualify.
To apply for a Medical Exemption Certificate, ask the receptionist at your GP surgery. An application form EC92A will be completed at the surgery, and will be endorsed by your GP. The surgery will send off the application to your NHS Board and you will receive your certificate by post.
There is further information about exemptions and fees on the website: www.scotland.govuk/healthcosts